When apples are in high season this Low-Carb Apple Galette is a fantastic way to use ’em up! For this fall dessert, my Paleo Pie Crust envelopes sweet tender apple slices, spiced with cinnamon. The boys love this and I love that such an easy low-carb dessert recipe is also super healthy. It tastes so incredible though that no one will ever know this treat is good for you!
Low-Carb Apple Galette Recipe
My Low-Carb Apple Galette filling is made with only 6 ingredients total so you can throw it together very easily. I like to make a Paleo Pie Crust and divide it in half, using one half for the low-carb crust in this recipe. Then, I save the other half, wrapping it in parchment, placing it in a plastic bag and storing in the refrigerator. Paleo Pie Crust will last for about 5 days when stored this way.
How to Make Low-Carb Apple Galette
The key to making this dessert is to roll out the dough so that it’s very thin. After, that you’ll place the apple slices in the center. Next, fold the crust over the edges, like I did in the photo above. The trick to this is to use the parchment to help you fold. That way, the flaky dough will move more easily. Another tip is to slice the apples very thin. I use this slicer and then slice each of the pieces into fourths.
What is a Galette?
A galette is a sweet or savory, rustic looking pastry. The French word “galet” literally means “smooth, flat pebble,” indicating something round. I’ve taken liberties and made this a rectangular dessert. Don’t be distressed if the dough for this galette breaks, simply patch it with your fingers. Galettes are meant to be simple desserts and perfection is not an ingredient in this luscious rustic-style apple pie.
- Divide Paleo Pie Crust dough in half
- Place half of dough on a piece of parchment paper
- Form dough into a rectangular log
- Cover with another piece of parchment
- Roll into a rectangle, approximately 11 x 9 inches, ⅛-inch thick
- Remove top piece of parchment
- In a medium bowl, toss apples with arrowroot, cinnamon, maple syrup, lemon juice, and stevia
- Line up apple slices on rectangle of dough
- Fold up parchment paper to wrap dough over edge of apple layer
- Pour juices from bowl over galette
- Slide galette with bottom piece of parchment onto a baking sheet
- Cover baking sheet with tin foil
- Secure tinfoil to edges of baking sheet so that steam does not escape
- Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes covered, and 10-15 minutes more uncovered
Low-Carb Recipes that are Corn-Free
You’ll notice this low-carb recipe is sweetened with maple syrup and stevia. I use this combination of sweeteners because I cannot digest traditional low-carb sweeteners like erythritol. Other than xylitol, most low-carb sweeteners are made of corn, a food that is incredibly inflammatory for me. Additionally, I cannot digest the sugar alcohols that the corn is turned into.
If you’re looking for super low-carb, high-fat (LCHF) recipes, check out my Keto Diet Recipes page. It’s full of healthy low-carb, paleo, dinners, desserts, and so much more!
If you’re in need of nutrition information I provide it for all of the recipes in my low-carb cookbooks. The best one to start with is the New York Times best seller, Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry. Leave a comment and let me know if you have my books, and if so what your favorite low-carb recipe is! And enjoy the galette!