There’s nothing like using baked fruit to make paleo desserts during the summer. This gluten-free Apple Blackberry Crisp uses seasonal, fresh, luscious ingredients, and is the perfect warm weather delight. When finished off with a high-protein almond flour topping, baked fruit treats such as this are super food in the form of dessert. Now what’s better than that?
Our summer started last week when the boys finished school, and we are having an excellent time. Our house has been the setting for lots of sleep overs, lunches, snacks, and water balloon fights for the boys and all of their friends.
Today we’ve been deeply involved in preparing for the Mapleton Hill Rummage Sale. The boys plan to have an organic lemonade stand where they will sell high protein brownies, cookies, and other treats. Who knows, they might even be selling Apple Blackberry Crisp!
- 5 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (Gala, Braeburn or Honeycrisp)
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 cup blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
- ¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or palm shortening
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- Place apple-blackberry mixture in an 8 x 8 inch baking dish
- Sprinkle with lemon juice, vanilla, and arrowroot, tossing to incorporate all ingredients
- To make topping, in a medium bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, oil, and maple syrup
- Crumble topping over apple-blackberry mixture
- Cover with tin foil and bake at 350°F for 60 to 75 minutes until fruit is juicy and bubbling
- Remove from oven and uncover
- If topping is browned, allow to cool for 10-15 minutes
- If topping is not browned, place in oven for 5 minutes, or until browned
Here are some more easy gluten-free baked fruit dessert recipes for you!