This Cranberry Apple Stuffing is a family favorite. We love making it at Thanksgiving, but it’s so good we make it all year round. Although gluten-free stuffing may not seem like a big deal, it is to us. Since my older son and I both have celiac disease stuffing is not something we take for granted.
Gluten-Free Bread Recipes
We also cherish gluten-free bread recipes. Mine are all grain-free and paleo as well. I gave up gluten in 1998, and in 2001 I gave up all grains as well as corn, rice, and potatoes. If you’re in the same boat you’ll want to take a look at all of the amazingly easy and tasty creations on my Paleo Bread Recipes page!
Gluten-Free Stuffing Recipe for Thanksgiving
While stuffing is often a time consuming and complex dish to make, this recipe is a bit easier. It’s a traditional bread stuffing spiked with cranberries and green apples. I don’t bake my stuffing inside a turkey because it doesn’t bake evenly when prepared this way. I also like to brown this paleo stuffing in the oven so baking it separately is key.
- ½ cup dried cranberries, fruit juice sweetened
- ½ cup chicken stock or Kettle & Fire Bone Broth
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 inch medium granny smith apples, cored and chopped into 1 inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1 loaf Paleo Bread or Gluten Free Bread 2.0, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- Soak dried cranberries in chicken broth for 1-2 hours
- Heat oil in a 9 inch skillet, over medium heat
- Saute onion until soft, about 15 minutes
- Add celery and saute for 10 minutes
- Add apple and parsley and saute for 3 minutes, until apples begin to soften
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl
- Bake bread cubes on a parchment paper lined baking sheet for 5-10 minutes at 350°F
- Cool for 20 minutes
- Stir bread cubes into vegetable mixture
- Whisk eggs and salt into cranberry-chicken broth mixture
- Add egg-cranberry mixture to stuffing, tossing to combine
- Transfer stuffing to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- Bake stuffing at 350°F uncovered until cooked through and browned on top, about 40 minutes
- Let stand 10-15 minutes
This gluten-free Cranberry Apple Stuffing recipe is based on one I found in Bon Appétit. It has all the components of a good stuffing recipe! For me this includes bread (gluten-free of course), onions, celery, chicken broth, and eggs. These ingredients are the key to a good stuffing recipe!
Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Recipes
Here are some of my other healthy gluten-free Thanksgiving recipes for you!