If you’ve ever wondered what to do with a leftover chicken carcass, or how to make bone broth from chicken, this bone broth recipe will be incredibly helpful to you!
When anyone in my family comes down with a case of the sniffles I love to make bone broth from chicken. It’s fantastically nourishing and healing to sip on rich golden broth, and inhale the moisture from a big steaming mug of it! It’s also very hydrating for when you have a cold or the flu. Bone broth made from chicken, aka, chicken soup, or chicken stock, is a Jewish tradition. In our family, and many other Jewish families, bone broth has long been referred to as Jewish penicillin. Not only is this bone broth great if you have a cold or flu, it is also amazing for healing the gut, and an assortment of gut issues.
To heighten the flavor of this recipe, I roasted the vegetables prior to placing them in the stockpot. Feel free to omit this step. If you are in a hurry and throw the veggies into the stockpot without roasting them the bone broth will still be tasty, it just won’t have quite as much flavor.
- Place chicken carcass in a large stockpot with the water
- Bring pot to a boil, then reduce to a simmer
- Place onion, carrot, and garlic on a parchment lined baking sheet; roast at 400° for 1 hour
- Add roasted vegetables to stock
- Then add parsley, thyme, celery, bay leaves, and apple cider vinegar
- Simmer stock one hour, then cool and strain
- Fill 1 quart mason jars with 3 cups stock each, leave 1 cup space in each jar for expansion
- Freeze stock in jars for up to 3 months
- Use in soups, sauces, or drink plain
I use apple cider vinegar in this recipe not for flavor, but for function. The apple cider vinegar is acidic, and helps to leach healthy nutrients from the chicken bones.
Part of this bone broth recipe is based on a chicken stock recipe from one of my favorite books, The Joy of Cooking. I also have a recipe for a quick and easy Beef Bone Broth in a post called How to Make Bone Broth in the Instant Pot. I hope you enjoyed learning how to make bone broth from chicken!
Here are some of my healthy paleo soup recipes that use chicken stock: