This gluten-free Matzo Ball Soup recipe is a healthy twist on a classic Passover recipe. My secret to making this dish gluten-free is to use almond flour in place of matzo meal. Yes, it’s true, I’ve created a Paleo Matzo Ball Soup!
Growing up, I loved chicken soup with matzo balls, and I still do. When I am getting over a cold, this soup dish is the first thing I make. We like to say that chicken soup is Jewish penicillin! And these gluten-free matzo balls only make it better. Be sure to use my chicken bone broth recipe in this soup, so that it is extra healthy and unbelievably delicious!
Traditionally, we serve this Paleo Matzo Ball Soup at Passover. Pesach is one of my favorite holidays. I adore holidays that involve a change of seasons and Passover, occurring each year in March or April (depending on the full moon), ushers in spring. Did you know that all of my recipes are kosher for Passover because they use almond flour?! That’s right I don’t have any gluten or chametz in the 800 recipes on this entire website! And all of my cookbooks are kosher for Pesach too!
Matzo Ball Soup
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, (1 teaspoon) salt and pepper for 2 minutes
- Stir in the almond flour
- Refrigerate the mixture 2-4 hours
- Remove from refrigerator
- Heat a large pot of water (with 1 teaspoon salt) and bring to a boil
- Roll the batter into 1-inch balls then drop into the pot of boiling water
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- Heat 6 cups chicken stock in a separate pot
- When the matzo balls are finished, remove from simmering water with a slotted spoon and add to chicken stock
- Ladle stock, plus 2-3 matzo balls into individual bowls and serve
Like most other families who grew up celebrating this holiday, we had matzoh ball soup every year. My grandmother made this soup. My mother made this soup. And now I have made this soup! My children will be at least the fourth generation of my family to partake in matzo balls! But they will have gluten-free matzo balls!
I made a test batch today for my family to sample and was given the thumbs up. I will be serving this soup and other gluten-free Jewish food at our Passover seder.
These gluten free matzo balls are non-gebruchts, pareve and kosher for Passover. If you love these matzoh balls as much as we do, be sure to take a look at my healthy Paleo Passover menu! Here are some of my other classic Paleo Passover recipes: