Homemade Beet Maror is delicious, and far easier to make than you might think. All you need is horseradish root, beets, and apple cider vinegar for this easy Passover recipe. I created my own Beet Maror recipe when I began making Passover Seders in our home. Although I grew up on Manischewitz Maror, I now love to make my own from scratch.
But folks, be careful! While making Maror is easy and even fun, it is important that you proceed with caution. I make Maror in the food processor, and it’s important when you’re done to remove the lid very carefully. Otherwise trapped horseradish root fumes may escape straight up into your nostrils. This proves to be a major decongestant, but can also be quite painful.
- 1 horseradish root, peeled and chopped, about 4 inches
- 1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 raw beet, peeled and diced into ½ cubes
- Combine all ingredients in food processor
- Pulse until horseradish and beets are well ground
- Carefully remove lid; do not inhale or smell mixture, as it may burn eyes and nasal passages
- Store in a glass container
Here are some of my other healthy Paleo Passover recipes: