Once again, it’s all Joy the Baker’s fault. This scone obsession of mine. When I saw those cute little hand cut squares of Orange Chocolate Buttermilk Scones on her blog, joythebaker.com, I knew I had to make them mine. And I did. And then some.
So, here’s the latest in my scone series, gluten free Cranberry Orange Scones. As you can see, there is a strange “orangeness” on the top of my scones. That’s because I had a little extra zest leftover and rolled the dough in it. Feel free to give this a try if you’re big time into the orange zest thing.
Cranberry Orange Scones
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, cranberries, chips and zest
- In a smaller bowl, combine egg and agave
- Mix wet ingredients into dry
- Knead dough with hands if necessary to ensure proper distribution of ingredients
- Form dough into 2 little circles so that each one is about ½-inch in thick
- Cut each circle like a pizza, into 8 slices
- Using a metal baking spatula transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes
As you can see, with white chocolate chips, these scones are not even close to Paleo or Primal. So, if you’re looking for a healthier treat, substitute the white chocolate with dark chocolate. Or maybe just experiment with leaving out the chocolate altogether –blasphemy to chocolate lovers, I know!
Here are some more gluten free scone recipes you may enjoy baking:
-Bacon-Cheese Scones (Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, Cow-Dairy-Free Scones) from Approvechar
-Gluten-Free Vegan Cherry Oat Scones from Cybele Pascal
-Strawberry Chocolate Chip Scones from Gluten-Free Goddess
Please head on over to Facebook or Twitter to ask me anything not addressed on my Frequently Asked Questions page.