I love that the boys (and their friends) gobble down a treat high in fiber and other nutrients, with a minute amount of added sweetener –this entire dessert has a mere one tablespoon of honey. While super kid-friendly, this not-too-sweet tart also makes a gluten free, dairy free dessert that is rich enough to satisfy discerning palates, hence the place it will take on on our Thanksgiving table next month.
- In a large bowl, toss apple slices, lemon juice, arrowroot, honey and cinnamon
- Fan apples out on top of uncooked crust, forming a circle
- Layer more apples over circle and in its center
- Cover tart with foil, and bake at 350° for 45 to 70 minutes, or until juices are bubbling
- Remove foil and cook uncovered for 5-10 more minutes
- Serve with Vegan Coconut Whip (page 94 Gluten-Free Cupcakes)
Here are some of my other fall friendly apple recipes:
Are you looking forward to Thanksgiving? What types of recipes would you like to see here before the holiday?