Every Friday night, I roast a chicken. My children are willing to consume any chicken dish as long as it contains fruit. Such is our unspoken agreement.
This past week, I used apples to lure my children to their protein dish. The combination of rosemary with apples was a natural pairing and the balsamic vinegar, which caramelized during roasting, sweetly permeated the entire chicken.
As I served this up to my family and asked how they liked it, my younger son exclaimed, “Mommy, it’s AMAZING!” Needless to say, I’m quite happy with the outcome of this little experiment, which yielded good results on the very first try.
- Rinse the chicken, pat dry with a paper towel and place in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- Drizzle with oil and vinegar, then sprinkle with salt
- Arrange the apples around the chicken in the baking dish
- Place the sprigs of rosemary under the chicken
- Bake at 350° for 90 minutes, until browned on the outside
This delicious fruited chicken dish is great for guests, providing warm soft apples as comfort food along with a good dose of protein – all in one dinner.