These healthy, higher protein, gluten free Date Walnut Bars are a nice alternative to my more indulgent gluten free Cake Pops. If you follow me on Facebook, you know I’m obsessed with cake pops. After I put the words “cake pops” in my status update bar for the umpteenth time, one of my followers said, “yes, I have noticed them!” I think she may have had just a twinge if sarcasm in her response, though who can blame her.
Anyway, back to date bars. Gluten free date bars. Truly, these are a nice healthy treat for the new year. We enjoy them for breakfast with a hot cup of tea, or for an afternoon snack, or for dessert following our dinner.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, oil, agave and vanilla extract
- Stir wet ingredients into dry
- Fold walnuts and dates into batter
- Scoop batter into a greased 8 x 8 inch baking dish
- Bake at 350° for 22-30 minutes
- Cool and serve
Both my husband and younger son really enjoyed this treat. Of course, my older son barely noticed them since they do not contain chocolate.
Here’s some other folks that have recipes for gluten free date bars:
–Tropical Pineapple Date Bars from Ginger Lemon Girl
–Peanut Date Bars from Food Sensitivity Journal
–Walnut and Date Bars from Jenn Cuisine