Homemade goldfish crackers are surprisingly easy to make. With just six healthy ingredients –almond flour, salt, baking soda, cheddar cheese, olive oil, and egg, they make a fantastic gluten-free snack for kids.
If you are wondering if these are Paleo goldfish crackers, the answer is, I don’t know. It depends on what your definition of Paleo is. It depends on which foods your body can digest. It depends on what you consider a real food. I can tell you for sure though that these are grain-free goldfish crackers and that my boys and I loved them!
- In a food processor, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, and cheese
- Pulse in oil and eggs until well combined
- Divide dough into 2 pieces
- Place 1 piece of dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll to ¼-inch thick
- Remove top layer of parchment paper
- Use a goldfish cookie cutter to cut out little fish
- Transfer goldfish to a parchment lined baking sheet
- Roll leftover dough and place in refridgerator; repeat process with second piece of dough
- Bake at 350°F for 13-15 minutes
As you might imagine, cutting out dozens of tiny goldfish crackers can take a bit of time. If you want to save time and would enjoy a cracker that is more like a gluten-free Cheez-It, simply cut the dough into squares after you roll it out on the parchment paper, and then transfer the parchment paper (dough and all) to the baking sheet. Be sure to use organic dairy when you make this recipe. We use organic dairy in our house as it is better for the children, the cows, and our environment overall, and we do not wish to support the regular use of antibiotics in animal husbandry.
This low-carb goldfish crackers recipe is a bit sentimental for me since I grew up on the processed, packaged goldfish crackers as a kid. I love eating these high-protein goldfish crackers with chopped liver. It’s quite a fatty and filling treat, which is a great thing for me! Please leave a comment and let me know if you’d like me to create a dairy-free goldfish cracker recipe. If enough of you raise your hand and request it, I’ll get to work on it for you!
Here are some of my paleo cracker recipes for you: