This dairy-free Spinach Artichoke Dip from Gather by Hayley Mason and Bill Staley is delicious! I recently received a copy of this new Paleo cookbook. It is a gorgeous coffee table book (large size format with beautiful photos), though it will not spend much time on your coffee table. It will be in your kitchen where you can use it.
After my younger son and I spent the evening reading through the book, we decided to make the vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip. I’ve wanted to eat spinach artichoke dip for quite some time. However, each of the recipes I’ve come across have tons of sour cream. So I was happy to see Bill and Hayley’s dairy-free spinach artichoke dip that uses cashews for its base. The dip is rich and creamy, just like a traditional Spinach Artichoke Dip recipe.
Gather: Spinach Artichoke Dip
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, cover the cashews with filtered water, and soak them in the refrigerator overnight
- The following day, drain the cashews, and place them in a food processor or high-speed blender
- Pour in enough filtered water to just cover the cashews
- Blend them until smooth
- At this point you will have "cashew cream"
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the cashew cream, nutritional yeast, onion powder, salt, pepper, and lemon juice
- In a large heavy skillet, melt the coconut oil over medium heat
- Add the artichoke hearts to the skillet, and sauté them for one minute
- Add the minced garlic and spinach, and continue to sauté them for 5-7 minutes
- Mash and chop the artichoke hearts with a silicone scraper or spoon as you sauté them
- Let the mixture cool
- Then, stir it together with the cashew cream
- Refrigerate until serving.
The batch of dip that I made from Gather came out looking exactly like the photo in their cookbook. After I faithfully followed the recipe, I added a bit more spinach and artichokes, as I was in the mood for more vegetables. Theirs however, was exactly like the spinach artichoke dip of my childhood. Creamy and delicious.
We like to serve healthy Spinach Artichoke Dip with these paleo cracker recipes: