My version of Perfect Roast Chicken is based upon one from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. This go to dish is something I make at least once a week, after which I generally use the carcass for chicken stock. My best friend from childhood, Helen, introduced me to Ina, and I have been hooked on her books ever since.
While Ina’s recipe for Perfect Roast Chicken calls for wheat flour, chicken stock and butter, mine is a tad simpler and gluten free as well. My boys love this roasted chicken.
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Remove chicken giblets and rinse chicken inside and out
- Pat chicken dry
- Place chicken in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- Liberally salt and pepper inside of chicken
- Stuff cavity with bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon and all garlic
- Brush outside of chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Tie legs together with kitchen string and tuck wings under body of chicken
- Place each onion quarter into a corner of dish
- Roast chicken for 1 ½ hours or until juices run clear
- Allow to cool slightly and serve
What is your favorite chicken dish? Leave a comment and let us all know!
More gluten free chicken recipes you may enjoy for dinner:
-Herb Garden Chicken Slow Cooker Recipe from A Year of Slow Cooking
-Roast Chicken with Garlic, Ginger and Lemon from Tasty Eats at Home
-Pistachio Pesto Crusted Chicken from Cook It Allergy Free