- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon
- In a small bowl, mix together coconut oil, agave, and vanilla
- Mix wet ingredients into dry
- Roll out dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper until ¼ inch thick
- Refrigerate for 1 hour
- Remove top piece of parchment paper and dust dough with almond flour
- Cut out cookies with a small star cutter
- Using a metal spatula, place stars on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake at 350°F until lightly browned around the edges, 5-8 minutes
- Cool completely prior to handling cookies
So, what is a gluten-free mom to do for a wheat-filled, sugar laden holiday celebration? I devised a holiday dessert recipe for the parents who had volunteered to bake star cookies. Then I assembled bags with the recipe, parchment paper, a cookie cutter and the ingredients.
The children dressed up in white robes and spent the entire day serving star cookies to everyone from ‘kindergarteners’ to high school seniors. And the five gluten-free kids in my son’s class? They were able to eat the cookies that they gave to others and break bread with the entire school. Now that’s Lucia magic.
My White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting recipe is amazing on these Star Cookies!
Here are some of my other healthy Christmas cookie recipes: