- 2½ cups blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
- ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 5 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon
- In a small bowl, mix together coconut oil, agave, and vanilla
- Mix wet ingredients into dry
- Roll out dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper until ¼ inch thick
- Refrigerate for 1 hour
- Remove top piece of parchment paper and dust dough with almond flour
- Cut out cookies with a small star cutter
- Using a metal spatula, place stars on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake at 350°F until lightly browned around the edges, 5-8 minutes
- Cool completely prior to handling cookies
So, what is a gluten-free mom to do for a wheat-filled, sugar laden holiday celebration? I devised a holiday dessert recipe for the parents who had volunteered to bake star cookies. Then I assembled bags with the recipe, parchment paper, a cookie cutter and the ingredients.
The children dressed up in white robes and spent the entire day serving star cookies to everyone from ‘kindergarteners’ to high school seniors. And the five gluten-free kids in my son’s class? They were able to eat the cookies that they gave to others and break bread with the entire school. Now that’s Lucia magic.
My White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting recipe is amazing on these Star Cookies!
Here are some of my other healthy Christmas cookie recipes:
Can the coconut oil be substituted by ghee? Thanks!
Louise, I haven’t tried that so not sure :-)
After baked and cooled, would these be ok to put in the freezer? Would like to make in advance, and freeze, then pull out to thaw for an event. Thoughts?
Kris, I haven’t tried that so not sure :-)
Hi Elana- Do you have a nut-free substitution for the almons flour for this recipe? Thanks!
Sue, thanks for your comment! I haven’t tried making this without almond flour so not sure what would work in its place. Here’s a link to my Nut-Free Recipes page for you, I hope you find something you love:
For the Star Cookies recipe, how do you store these after finished baking? In refrigerator? and for how long? Trying to figure out if I can make these 1-2 days ahead and then take to an event. Thank you!
Kris, we gobble these up as soon as they’re made. They will keep nicely for 1-2 days if you leave them out, then package them up right before the event :-)