This recipe for Paleo Breakfast Bars is an amended version of a recipe I posted in 2009. I have rewritten this recipe for several reasons.
First, although a number of people swore by it, others commented that the bars came out crumbly for them. Second, although the original recipe was grain-free, it was not Paleo as it contained grapeseed oil and agave.
In any event, this simple gluten-free homemade breakfast bar recipe is a favorite in our house as it is easy to pack for a hike and delicious enough to serve as a healthy dessert. I also serve it to the boys as a Paleo after school snack –their friends love it and eat a whole dish at a time, however they refer to these as granola bars or power bars.
Paleo Breakfast Bars
- In a food processor combine almond flour and salt
- Pulse in coconut oil, honey, water and vanilla until combined
- Pulse in coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almond slivers and raisins until combined
- Press dough into an 8 x 8 inch baking dish, wetting your hands with water to pat dough down
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes
- Cool bars in pan for 2 hours, then serve
Last week I had the good fortune to pop into New York to do some pre-publicity for my new book, Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry. I met with several magazine editors and appeared on Fox News Live with the very engaging interviewer John Hunt, and I spoke extensively about the Paleo Diet. Here is the video.
Just a reminder, my book Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry will be published early this summer, on June 18th, 2013.
Here are some of other healthy snack recipes:
Free exclusive eBook, plus recipes and health tips, delivered to your inbox.