Last weekend my in-laws came out to Boulder to visit and I used them as guinea pigs for this healthy Paleo Gravy recipe. Thankfully this gravy passed the in-law test served over Mashed Cauliflower.
When I made this Paleo Gravy, I roasted a chicken with onions and thyme and used the pan drippings for the recipe below. I probably only had a couple of tablespoons of drippings, and I actually think this gravy recipe might work without any drippings at all. The onions thicken the gravy; I learned this trick from the late, great author Elaine Gottschall (also a dear friend), who wrote a fabulous gravy recipe in her book Breaking the Vicious Cycle, which I highly recommend.
- 1 quart Chicken Stock
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- pan drippings from roasted chicken or roasted turkey
- ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, heat chicken stock, onions and garlic to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer until onions and garlic are soft, about 30 minutes
- Pour pan drippings into saucepan
- Blend stock-onion-drippings mixture in a vitamix until smooth
- Place mixture back in saucepan and reheat, then season with salt and thyme
- Serve over turkey, Mashed Cauliflower, or anything else
I was beyond thrilled to find my book at the top of Jane Anderson’s list of Christmas and Hanukkah Gift Ideas for Celiacs on About.com. She listed The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook as her personal favorite gluten-free cookbook. Wow. Thanks Jane!
Mary Yamamoto says
just a question, you say to simmer the onions and garlic till soft, and that takes 30 minutes, isn’t that quite a long time to soften them?
Delores Liesner says
I just ordered the Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook! I love your recipes – find them healthy, easy to prepare and delicious
Your gravy sounds yummy, Elana! Can’t hardly believe it’s made without any kind of flour at all!
Jen Wynn says
Judy block says
This sounds easy and yummy! Thanks for the recipe!!
Love that you share these wonderful recipes so freely. Thank you:-)
I can’t wait to try this!
Deanna S says
That looks delish, maybe I’ll use it in a casserole. Wish I liked cooked cauliflower.
Wow! I am going to give this a try!
Can’t wait to try this!