Balsamic Roasted Turkey with Apple Stuffing
- Remove the gizzards (save in refrigerator for gravy)
- Rinse bird well and pat dry with paper towels; then truss (tie legs together with string)
- Place turkey breast side up in a roasting pan, then put rosemary inside bird
- Drizzle bird with oil and balsamic vinegar, then sprinkle with salt
- Wedge apples around roasting pan to prop turkey up evenly --place 2 apple halves in cavity of bird
- Place roasting pan with turkey, apples, etc. in oven on lowest rack
- Roast at 325°F, 15 minutes per pound; a 15 pound turkey requires 3 hours and 45 minutes
- If skin begins to brown too soon, cover with tin foil
- To check temperature stick a meat thermometer deep into thigh; at 175°F it is safely done
- Remove turkey from oven and allow to sit for 20 to 30 minutes before carving
To thaw out a frozen turkey place in refrigerator –this will take about one day for every 5 pounds, a 15 pound bird needs 3 days. Alternatively, thaw the bird in a cold water bath, this requires 30 minutes per pound –7 ½ hours for a 15 pound bird. Below are cooking instructions for the thawed turkey.
Take note, because of the balsamic vinegar in this recipe, the turkey skin will be much darker than a bird cooked in the traditional method.