Last night I had a hunkering for gluten free peanut butter cookies. I went over to Elise’s site, Simply Recipes, and found a yummy looking recipe for gluten-filled Peanut Butter Cookies. I experimented a bit, made a couple of changes to her recipe and came up with a nice gluten free cookie dough. I then decided that it might be fun to make a gluten free peanut butter and jelly cookie.
So here you have it, high protein, gluten free peanut butter and jelly cookies, the product of my insomnia and late night experimentation. When I pulled these out of the oven, I was thinking about breakfast the next morning. What else is there to think about than the next meal? And I thought to myself, these cookies are healthy enough for a quick, on the go bite, maybe even breakfast. They have a good amount of protein and fiber (from the almond flour and peanut butter) and still a bit more protein from the egg.
That all turned out to be in theory, though, because this morning I had a peanut butter protein shake.
- In a large bowl, cream peanut butter, shortening, coconut sugar and egg with a hand blender
- Blend until smooth then stir in almond flour and salt
- Scoop dough 1 tablespoon at a time onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Make a large thumbprint in the center of each cookie
- Scoop jam 1 teaspoon at a time into the center of each cookie
- Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes
- Cool and serve with a big tall glass of dairy free Almond Milk
Yes, I am on a peanut butter kick, as you can see. If you do not want to use peanut butter, you could try experimenting with sunbutter or creamy roasted almond butter. In terms of finding a replacement for the egg in this recipe, I’m not sure what would work. If you have a good solution, please leave a comment below.
More gluten free flourless cookie recipes from other food bloggers:
–Flourless Almond Butter Cookies from Alta of Tasty Eats At Home
–Flourless Oatmeal Cookies by Shirley of Gluten Free Easily
–Flourless Nut Butter Cookies by Kimi of The Nourishing Gourmet