When I recently posted my Accidental Mocha Mousse recipe, Samantha requested this German Chocolate Cake so that she and her mother would not miss out on it during the holidays. I am more than pleased to add it to this blog, as German Chocolate Cake is a classic.
Although my boys are in a finicky stage lately, boycotting most of the things I make (even dessert!) they eagerly wolfed down this sweet, rich chocolaty cake.
German Chocolate Cake
- In a small bowl combine flour, cacao, salt and baking soda
- Add dry ingredients into large bowl and continue to blend
- Oil (2) 9 inch springform pans and dust with coconut flour
- Pour batter into pans and bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes
- Remove from oven, allow to cool completely then remove from pans
- Frost and serve
Coconut Pecan Frosting
- In a medium saucepan, heat coconut milk, agave and salt, simmer for 10 minutes
- In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and water to form a smooth paste
- Pour arrowroot mixture into saucepan
- Mix contents of saucepan with a hand blender and bring to a boil, briefly
- Remove pot from heat and very gradually blend in coconut oil
- Place pot in freezer for 30-40 minutes, until frosting solidifies and turns white
- Remove from freezer and blend again, until fluffy, then stir in shredded coconut and pecans
- Spread frosting over cake and serve
Update: Please see my new Gluten Free German Chocolate Cake!