This Salmon Kabayaki recipe is as easy as it gets. All you need is 4 ingredients total to create one of the best fish dishes you’ve ever had. Although kids often don’t love fish, my boys adore this and can’t get enough of it.
I often double this sweet and tangy fish kabayaki recipe since my boys enjoy it so much.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir ume plum vinegar and honey
- When sauce begins to bubble turn down heat
- Simmer 4-5 minutes until thick enough to coat back of a spoon
- Place oil in a 9 inch skillet over high heat
- Place salmon in skillet, do not allow fillets to touch
- Fry salmon 2 minutes or until bottoms are browned
- Brush kabayaki sauce on salmon
- Flip salmon and brush other side
- Fry for 1-2 minutes until fish flakes easily and is cooked through
How to Make Kabayaki Sauce
The first time I made this I burned the kabayaki sauce and had to toss it. The sauce was way too charred because I had left it on high-heat for too long. The next dozen times that I made it I had perfect success. Whatever you do, keep a close eye on the kabayaki sauce. It can be a bit fragile. Also, when frying the fish, be careful and keep children out of the kitchen.
Healthy Low-Carb Dinner Recipes
This Salmon Kabayaki contains a fair amount of sweetener and so is not a low-carb dish. Here are some of my low-carb dinner recipes for you!