These Paleo Linzer Heart cookies are a super fun recipe for Valentine’s day. One of my favorite readers, Anina, who attended one of my cooking classes came up with the idea for these. During class, she suggested that the Black and White Cookies we were preparing could also be turned into linzer hearts by replacing the chocolate with raspberry jam and making a couple of other easy changes.
Easy Valentine’s Cookie Recipe for Kids
These easy Linzer Heart cookies are made with 6 ingredients total. All you need to throw them together is almond flour, honey, palm shortening, vanilla, salt, and baking soda. A stunning tea cookie, my younger son and I love to make Linzer Hearts together. He’s not a huge fan of chocolate and these are the perfect Valentine’s day dessert for him.
Egg-Free Valentine’s Cookies
It’s so hard to find good paleo recipes that are egg-free but these Linzer Heart cookies work for so many types of special diets. If you’re allergic to eggs check out my Egg-Free Diet page.
- Combine almond flour and salt in a food processor
- Pulse in shortening, honey, and vanilla until dough forms
- Between 2 pieces of parchment paper, roll out dough ¼ inch thick
- Chill dough in freezer for 30 minutes
- Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out 2 hearts of the same size
- Cut out center of one heart with a small heart shaped cookie cutter
- Press thumb into solid heart to make an indentation, then fill with jam
- Place cut-out heart on top of jam covered heart
- Bake at 350°F on a parchment paper lined baking sheet for 5-7 minutes until brown around the edges
- Cool and serve
Linzer Heart Cookies Recipe
The trick to making these Linzer Hearts is to divide the dough into 4 parts. Take one part of chilled dough out of the freezer at a time to roll and cut out cookies. The rest of the dough will stay cold in the freezer. The dough is much easier to handle when chilled.
One Cookie Dough Recipe, Two Types of Cookies
These vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free cookies use the same dough as my Black and White Cookies recipe. My favorite thing about this cookie dough is that it requires only 5 ingredients! This recipe is as easy as it gets. You can make this versatile dough into both the Black and White cookies and Linzer Hearts. Two types of cookies, more Valentine’s fun.