The idea for this green smoothie comes from the amazing Sarma of oneluckyduck.com. I recently purchased her book Living Raw Food and am loving it. While some of the recipes can be complex, she has many that can be made in minutes.
This Ginger Cilantro Shake is a hybrid of her Cilantro-Pineapple Shake and her Bangkok Baby. Here is my version, a nice healthy green drink for Saint Patrick’s day.
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 cucumber (no need to peel), cut into pieces
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ finger length ginger (no need to peel)
- 5 little pieces pineapple
- In a vitamix , combine cilantro, cucumber, lime juice (and a little water if needed to help blend)
- Blend in ginger and pineapple until smooth
- Pour into a big glass
- Sip slowly like wine, to help with digestion
I recently read a great article in Fast Company about the Ten Most Inspiring People in Sustainable Food. Of course, the usual suspects such as the fabulous Michael Pollan were in it; however, they also mentioned some very unusual and fascinating people and ideas in this article including a proposed plan for vertical farming in cities created by a professor at Columbia University named Dickson Despommier.
Here’s a big shout out to Professor Despommier –wish you had been at Columbia when I was a student there many moons ago!
After looking further into vertical farms I found another inspiring bit –a site called windowfarms.org in New York City. This is an amazing idea!
Happy green day to all of you for Saint Patrick’s!