Photo courtesy of Almond Board of California
I am thrilled to let you all know that I am working with the Almond Board of California to promote healthy and delicious eating.
Why am I doing this? As you can imagine, I love almonds. They are a superfood and of course one of my favorite things to nibble on. I like almonds so much that I wrote an entire book about them. The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook uses almonds in all of its recipes and is a wonderful symbol of my love for that most nutritious of all nuts.
In my work with the Almond Board, I have written 4 recipes just for them (and you all, of course). Here is the first one for a Cranberry Almond Loaf.
- ¾ cup creamy roasted almond butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup dried apricots, chopped into ¼ inch pieces
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, plus 2 tablespoons to sprinkle on top
- olive oil for greasing
- blanched almond flour for dusting
- In a large bowl, blend almond butter, olive oil and eggs with a hand blender until smooth
- In a medium bowl, combine arrowroot powder, salt and baking soda
- Blend arrowroot mixture into wet ingredients until thoroughly combined
- Fold in apricots, cranberries, seeds and sliced almonds
- Grease a 7.5 x 3.5 magic line loaf pan with olive oil and dust with almond flour
- Transfer batter into loaf pan and sprinkle remaining sliced almonds on top
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes until a knife inserted into center comes out clean
- Let bread cool in pan for 1 hour, then serve
Yield 1 loaf
Slice this Cranberry Almond Loaf and enjoy it as a jazzed up base for your Turkey Club Sandwich. Or toast it and dip in olive oil for a delicious breakfast or after dinner treat. Personally, I like mine toasted and smothered in goat cheese.
As part of my work with the Almond Board, I will be traveling out to California next week to publicly discuss my love of almonds. I’ll be doing a couple of interesting things on Friday (stay tuned) and a book signing at Erewhon Natural Foods on Saturday. Hope to see you at the signing!
Please head on over to Facebook or Twitter to ask me anything not addressed on my Frequently Asked Questions page.