Justine, my new pen pal in San Francisco, recently went gluten-free. We have been corresponding about her quest to find a good gluten free pie crust for the holidays. I have had much fun chatting with Justine via email, enjoying her determination and attention to detail. Justine, here is my take on a flaky gluten-free crust. Please let me know how it turns out.
Chocolate Cream Pie
Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda
- In a small bowl, combine grapeseed oil, agave and vanilla
- Stir wet ingredients into dry
- Pat dough into a 9½-inch glass pie dish
- Bake at 325° for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown
Chocolate Cream Filling
- 2 (13.5 ounce) cans coconut milk
- pinch celtic sea salt
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- ½ cup agave nectar or honey
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chunks
- Bring coconut milk and salt to a boil in a medium pot
- Sift arrowroot powder into the pot, whisk vigorously by hand or with a hand blender for 2 minutes
- Whisk in agave and vanilla
- Remove from heat and let stand for 1 minute
- Add chocolate, stirring vigorously until completely melted
- Chill in refrigerator for ½ hour until cool
- Place in cooled pie crust
The idea for this delicious gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate cream pie recipe was inspired by Heidi of 101 Cookbooks. Although her recipes are not gluten-free, this site is currently my favorite food blog as I find Heidi’s recipes completely innovative and her photos mouth watering.
The gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan pie crust recipe above can be used, of course, for any pie, not just the chocolate cream pie. Enjoy!
Please head on over to Facebook or Twitter to ask me anything not addressed on my Frequently Asked Questions page.