Justine, my new pen pal in San Francisco, recently went gluten-free. We have been corresponding about her quest to find a good gluten free pie crust for the holidays. I have had much fun chatting with Justine via email, enjoying her determination and attention to detail. Justine, here is my take on a flaky gluten-free crust. Please let me know how it turns out.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda
- In a small bowl, combine grapeseed oil, agave and vanilla
- Stir wet ingredients into dry
- Pat dough into 9 inch glass pie dish
- Bake at 325° for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown
- Bring coconut milk and salt to a boil in a medium pot
- Sift arrowroot powder into the pot, whisk vigorously by hand or with a hand blender for 2 minutes
- Whisk in agave and vanilla
- Remove from heat and let stand for 1 minute
- Add chocolate, stirring vigorously until completely melted
- Chill in refrigerator for ½ hour until cool
- Place in cooled pie crust
The idea for this delicious gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate cream pie recipe was inspired by Heidi of 101 Cookbooks. Although her recipes are not gluten-free, this site is currently my favorite food blog as I find Heidi’s recipes completely innovative and her photos mouth watering.
The gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan pie crust recipe above can be used, of course, for any pie, not just the chocolate cream pie. Enjoy!