I’m slightly addicted to these Vanilla Roasted Walnuts and so is my husband. They have a hint of sweetness and a nice burst of vanilla goodness. On top of that, Walnuts are a great source of Omega-3’s, have a high antioxidant count and are also beneficial for cardiovascular health. So I’m on the walnut bandwagon.
Here’s the recipe for another gluten free, tasty, higher protein holiday snack with nuts.
- Place walnuts and oil in a large cast iron skillet (that's what I used, you can experiment) and turn heat to high
- As soon as you hear the slightest sizzle, turn heat down to medium or low
- Toast walnuts a few minutes until they smell nice and nutty
- Add agave and distribute around pan stirring, cook for a minute or two, then add salt
- Scrape the beans out of the vanilla pod and stir into walnuts
- Remove walnuts from pan and add just a dash of cinnamon if you like
These nuts are the perfect (last minute) homemade present when packaged in a lovely (reusable) holiday gift jar; that’s what I’m giving to friends and family this year along with my gluten free cookbook, The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook (which sells for a reasonable $11.55 on amazon.com). For more healthy, delicious Christmas fun and ideas, take a look at my Gluten Free Christmas Recipe Roundup.