Looking for delicious and healthy dessert ideas to tide you over during the holiday season? What about apple crisp –one of the easiest desserts to make; perfect for both beginner and advanced chefs.
I developed this gluten free Gingerbread Apple Crisp recipe for Shirley Braden’s blogging event, Home for the Holidays Gluten-Free Style. Every day, from Monday, November 28 through Friday, December 23, a different blogger will share a gluten-free recipe that means both home and the holidays to them. Here’s more from Shirley:
Our Home for the Holidays Gluten-Free Style blogging event offers the comfort, joy, excitement, and fun of the holidays with wonderful recipes from your favorite bloggers.
A special thanks to Shirley for including me in the event. If you are in the Fredericksburg, VA area, be sure to check out the gluten intolerance/celiac support group that she runs where they discuss topics such as celiac disease, the gluten free diet and how to survive the holidays.
This time of year can be challenging and filled with dietary dilemmas. How do we stay connected to, and feel a part of, the festivities yet remain true to what our bodies need when our visual and olfactory senses are inundated by foods that might not be part of our regular program?
If you are on a special diet, this gluten free, grain free Paleo friendly dessert recipe will likely work for you. Further, I like this Gingerbread Apple Crisp because it’s festive enough to bring to a party (or serve to guests in your own home) and also healthy enough for those needing to stay away from certain foods (sugar, gluten and dairy come to mind).
- 8 cups sliced Braeburn apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- ½ cup blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
- 2 tablespoons brown flaxmeal
- ¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons palm shortening
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Place sliced apples in a 2 quart baking dish
- Set apples aside
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, flax, salt, spices
- Mix in shortening, honey and vanilla
- Work mixture with your hands until it forms a dough
- Gently work in chopped pecans with your hands
- Sprinkle dough over chopped apples
- Bake covered at 350° for 60-75 minutes
- Remove from oven, and allow to cool uncovered
For extra holiday flare, serve this apple crisp with the Vegan Coconut Whip recipe in my latest book, Gluten-Free Cupcakes.