After preparing a plethora of Valentine’s sweets, I once again have post-holiday “dessert burnout” syndrome. Thus, I now find myself constantly craving protein –for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even snacks.
I will be eating a lot of these tasty little seafood patties in this new phase of protein craze. Hence I am delighted to share one of my favorite recipes with you –this one for simple, savory shrimp cakes.
- 1 pound (raw) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt (adjust to your taste, I like things salty)
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ cup blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil, for sautéing
- Place shrimp in food processor, pulse until finely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine chopped shrimp, bell pepper, garlic, scallions, lime juice, salt, chipotle, egg and cilantro
- Form mixture into 12 (½) inch thick patties, dip each in almond flour, coating thoroughly
- In a 9 inch skillet, over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil
- Add 4 patties to the skillet and cook about 5 minutes per side, until browned; remove and place on paper towel lined plate
- Repeat with remaining cakes
This gluten-free, high protein recipe for shrimp cakes is one of E’s favorites and also my husband’s. J won’t eat it unless under duress, preferring grilled cheese and quesadillas to just about anything I make these days. Alas, we had a good run for so many years where he was completely adventurous in his eating.
Now he is a pure carbo-holic asking me to pack him a lunch of sweetened, flavored yogurt with fruit leather. I have defied this wish of his and lunch comes home untouched day after day. Yesterday, after another virgin lunch came in the door, I asked him what was up and he said, “Mom, if you’d only pack me something good, then I would eat it!” Ok, yogurt and fruit leather, here we come. Can’t starve the boy.
As for myself? I’m sticking with the shrimp cakes.