What Is A Hemorrhoid?
Hemorrhoids, also referred to as piles, are swollen and inflamed veins in the rectum and anus that can be very painful. Hemorrhoid symptoms may include itching, bleeding, and extreme discomfort. In our culture this part of the body may be viewed with embarrassment or shame. Nevertheless, it is crucial that people are given the information needed to cure hemorrhoids. Every part of the body serves its purpose, is valuable, and deserves our attention and healing focus when needed.
Types Of Hemorrhoids
There are two types of hemorrhoids, internal and external. The hemorrhoid treatments outlined here are for the external type. An external hemorrhoid is a blood vessel that swells near the opening of the anus. It can cause tremendous pain and discomfort. In some cases, the pain is so great that it is difficult to sit, walk, or even sleep.
What Causes Hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are often caused by straining during a bowel movement, i.e., pushing too hard. Straining puts increased pressure on the tissue surrounding the anus, and may cause a vein to become inflamed and incredibly swollen. Hemorrhoids can also be the result of constipation, diarrhea, or simply sitting on the toilet too long, as all of the aforementioned situations can increase pressure on the veins in the anal canal, and around the anus.
Natural Hemorrhoid Treatments
Wondering how to cure hemorrhoids naturally, without surgery? The following are effective natural remedies for hemorrhoids.
- Warm Epsom Salt Bath –one of the best home treatments for hemorrhoids is a warm Epsom salt bath. If you have a severe hemorrhoid, try a warm bath every day (for half an hour, or more) with at least a pound of Epsom salt. You will get some soothing, and pain relief after the first bath. Using this treatment daily for 1-2 weeks will help reduce the size of the hemorrhoid, and possibly eliminate it. The warmth of the water and the magnesium in the salts help to both improve circulation and reduce swelling. We buy large containers of Epsom salt online.
- Un-Petroleum Jelly –unfortunately, hemorrhoids can get dry and itchy. What can you do for a burning, itchy hemorrhoid? Apply Un-Petroleum Jelly. This will keep the hemorrhoid itch-free, which may relieve some discomfort as well as protect the skin from chaffing (so that it does not worsen). If you use this natural remedy for hemorrhoids, you may want to use an unbleached panty liner so that the Un-Petroleum Jelly does not stain your clothing. I keep Un-Petroleum Jelly, an amazing product, in our house at all times. It is also great for diaper rash.
- Witch Hazel –witch hazel can be an effective natural cure for hemorrhoids as it has astringent properties that may help to shrink them. Be sure to purchase a natural product without added chemicals and items that could irritate delicate and inflamed skin.
- Homeopathic Hemorrhoid Remedy –another natural cure for hemorrhoids that can alleviate pain and discomfort is a homeopathic hemorrhoid oil remedy. This is very similar to a hemorrhoid cream, but is oil based. Apply each night before going to bed, then apply a layer of Un-Petroleum Jelly, and use a panty liner as mentioned above.
- Legs Up the Wall Pose –this is my favorite natural, home treatment for hemorrhoids, because it’s free. Try the legs up the wall pose for 15-30 minutes every day to increase circulation to the tail area and relieve pressure caused by sitting on the hemorrhoid. This pose, called viparita karani is a beginner yoga pose that is incredibly relaxing and good for healing fatigued adrenals.
Over The Counter Hemorrhoid Treatments
You may also wish to try an over the counter hydrocortisone cream for your hemorrhoids, which can be very effective. If you decide to use this, do so no more than every other day, as this type of cream can possibly wear down the delicate skin around the anus, and may worsen hemorrhoids in the long run if over used.
Medical Advice For Hemorrhoids
Wondering how to cure hemorrhoids naturally? That’s a good thing. Still, if you have a hemorrhoid, it is very important to consult with a physician. Call your internist or gastroenterologist for more information. Hopefully, the natural treatments for hemorrhoids that I’ve outlined above will prove effective for you so that you can avoid having hemorrhoid surgery.
Free exclusive eBook, plus recipes and health tips, delivered to your inbox.
Max Jones says
Thanks for explaining that external hemorrhoids cause extreme discomfort and pain. My wife has been complaining about severe discomfort for the last week. I’m afraid she might be dealing with hemorrhoids, so I’ll help her seek out treatment for her condition later this week.
Max, you’re welcome and I’m so sorry to hear that.
Jeff Carbine says
My favorite part of this article is an external hemorrhoid is a swollen blood vessel near the anus opening. It can be quite painful and inconvenient. Someone recently told me about this and it is different from what I understand. Thanks for helping me understand hemorrhoid treatment.
Jeff, you’re welcome!
I have the same problem of humoryhoids for over 6yrs now I need help please coz the pain is really much
Daniel, I’m so sorry to hear that, you may wish to consult with your health care practioner regarding this issue.
Derick Young says
I just got surgery done yesterday for an anal fistula and rubber band ligation for internal hemorrhoids. To start with my issues started in early 2019. I had massive pain for almost 6 months before the pain went away. It returned again in 2020 and I decided I had enough. I saw a colon doctor and he tried to prescribe sitz baths and special cream for 1-2 months. I returned to him saying the blood and some of the pain still persisted. He suggested surgery and right now I am recovering.
Derick, thanks for sharing your story here and I wish you all the best in your recovery!