I’m hooked on Kelly Broznya’s perfect new summer cookbook Dairy Free Ice Cream. Since obtaining a copy last week, I’ve been working my way through this dairy free tome, and I’ve already made eight recipes.
I’m mighty happy with the gluten-free, dairy-free frozen desserts that I’ve tasted from this book. Thus far, the healthy ice cream flavors I’ve indulged in have included : Pistachio, Coffee (which I made as Espresso), Chocolate (sweetened with dates), Butter Pecan, Mint Chip, Strawberry, Chocolate Hazelnut and Egg Nog.
I’m sure you have lots of questions, so let’s get right to ’em:
- Q: Can I make ice cream without an ice cream maker?
- A: Yes, you can. Here’s a tutorial from David Lebovitz to teach you how.
- Q: I don’t want to spend a fortune on an ice cream maker, can I buy one at a reasonable price?
- A: My friend Alexa bought one recently at a second hand store for $6.
- Q: How do I store the ice cream?
- A: Since there are at least six teenagers at my house at all times, leftovers are non-existent.
- Q: Do I have to use guar gum as a thickener in Kelly’s recipes?
- A: No, I don’t use gums and all of the recipes that I tried were delicious.
- Q: Are any of the recipes nut-free?
- A: Yes, many of the recipes are nut free if you use hemp milk, rather than cashew milk.
I love that the recipes in Dairy Free Ice Cream are:
Well, those are generally the top three criteria for the food I eat –tastiness, ease of preparation, and nutritionally dense. If those factors are important to you too, then this just might be your favorite cookbook for the summer of 2012.
Oh, and one last thing. Did I mention the variety of fascinating recipes contained in this book? Everything from classics such as Rocky Road, to exotic flavors like Rooibos Tea Ice Cream.
What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream? Have you figured out how to make a dairy free version?