Broccoli Rabe with Garlic
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet
- Add garlic to skillet and cook over medium heat until lightly browned, a few minutes
- Add broccoli rabe to skillet, and cook until wilted
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Transfer to a bowl and serve
I planted a little row of broccoli rabe in our front yard and got a descent harvest from it in June. It bolted though and now I have replanted another crop, and hopefully I will get more. Another wonderfully bitter green is dandelion, though I don’t like it as much as I do my broccoli rabe.
What is your favorite green and how do you like to prepare it?
What is your favorite flavor? In Ayurveda we were taught that there are 6 flavors –bitter, sweet, sour, salty, pungent and astringent. It’s odd living in a culture that places so much emphasis on sweet and salty, when there are 4 other important flavors.