For the past few months, I have been playing around with power bar recipes. When I’m on the go, I want to grab something that is packed with nutrition, not too sweet and plenty tasty.
I’ve made this power bar recipe a bunch of times now and my taste testers (that would be my husband who is a very direct and rather stringent critic) have given it their official seal of approval (that would be eating an entire tray in two days flat).
When I saw Heidi’s video on power bars yesterday, I knew it was time to go ahead and post mine. For those of you who are not yet familiar with Heidi, I have mentioned her here a few times. She is my favorite food blogger and author of the delightful book, Super Natural Cooking.
I love her power bar video –her voice is so soothing and the content so tranquil that it might put you into a trance. It’s almost like watching a yoga video. Gorgeous shots of California’s Big Sur interspersed with her recipe –what more can I say? See this delightful video yourself!
- Place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, almond butter and salt in a food processor
- Pulse briefly, about 10 seconds
- In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil over very low heat
- Remove coconut oil from stove, stir stevia, honey and vanilla into oil
- Add coconut oil mixture to food processor and pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste
- Press mixture into an 8 x 8 inch baking dish
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate over very low heat, stirring continuously
- Spread melted chocolate over bars; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens
- Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars and serve
Makes 20 bars
These no bake, high-protein, high-fiber bars are based upon Melissa Diane Smith’s recipe for Amaretto Protein Bars in her book Going Against the Grain and are a cinch to make. The chocolate topping makes them seem a bit decadent (skip it if you must, they’ll still come out fine) –though dark chocolate, rich in anti-oxidants has now entered the echelon of power foods so I’ll keep it on mine.
Please head on over to Facebook or Twitter to ask me anything not addressed on my Frequently Asked Questions page.