This high protein, Dairy-Free Chocolate Mousse is made with anti-oxidant rich dark chocolate and contains no dairy products –a double win. I’ve also used coconut palm sugar to sweeten it.
Summer is moving along for us over here. The boys made over $300 at their lemonade stand last weekend during the Mapleton Hill rummage sale. They ran the stand with 2 other friends and baked tons of cookies from scratch for their little business. I was so proud of them. Maybe at their next stand they’ll sell this high protein, dairy free chocolate mousse! I would love that.
- In a medium pot, heat water to boiling
- Reduce heat, then stir in coconut sugar until dissolved
- Remove pan from stove and cool coconut sugar mixture for 8 minutes
- Add chocolate, stirring until melted
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks until pale yellow
- In another medium bowl beat egg whites to stiff peaks
- Stir egg yolks into chocolate mixture (yes, into the pot)
- Stir egg whites into chocolate-yolk mixture until well combined, then stir in coconut cream
- Pour or spoon mousse into jars, then place in refrigerator overnight to set
- Serve, grating some chocolate on top if desired
If you can’t eat eggs, check out my vegan Mocha Mousse recipe. It contains a lot of useful information and the comments section of that post is chock full of good stuff! If you’re an egg lover this Dairy-Free Chocolate Mousse is super rich, low in sugar and very easy to make. And it’s oh so chocolate-y!
For other chocolate mousse/pudding ideas check out recipes from these groovy bloggers:
–Coconut & Raw Cacao Pudding dairy-free, vegan from Kelly of The Spunky Coconut
–Gluten-free No-Soy Dairy-free Chocolate Mousse Recipe from SeaMaiden of Book of Yum
–Easy Chocolate Mousse from Kelly of Celiac Chicks
Update: (i) Dagoba dark chocolate is no longer formulated dairy-free (as a reader below kindly pointed out to me), to make this dairy free I recommend trying Ghirardelli Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips or 365 Dark Chocolate Mini Chunks; (ii) coconut cream is the semi-solid found on the top of a can of coconut milk; (iii) finally, feel free to try making this mousse with agave, if you do, please stop by and leave a comment to let us know your results.