This recipe for heart shaped sugar cookies is gluten and dairy free, Paleo/primal friendly and does not use refined sugar. Further, this cookie recipe uses coconut oil, of which I am a big fan.
My older son did not want to give out paper valentines, so he made cookie valentines, as pictured above. Because the children in his class have a myriad of food allergies, this recipe is gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free. Even without those ingredients, my son claims the children in his class still say, “yum.”
- In a large bowl combine almond flour, salt, baking soda and nutmeg
- In a smaller bowl, mix together coconut oil, agave and orange zest
- Mix wet ingredients into dry
- Separate dough into 2 balls and place each on a piece of parchment paper
- Cover each ball of dough with another piece of parchment paper and roll out to ¼ inch thickness
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes
- Use heart shaped cookie cutters to cut out cookies
- Bake at 350° for 5-7 minutes
- Cool and serve
Update: Thanks to lisa’s comment below, I found that there was a typo in this recipe, these cookies require ¼ cup of agave, not 1 ¼. My apologies and my disaster, not hers. Thanks lisa for catching this error.