Don’t be sad that it’s Girl Scout Cookie season, because now it’s gluten-free Girl Scout Cookie season, and you can partake in gluten-free Thin Mints. You can even dive into Paleo Girl Scout Cookies, otherwise known as Paleo Thin Mints.
Give thanks for this to the fabulous Tammy Credicott, author of Paleo Indulgences. Without her book, full of fabulous Paleo recipes (including a couple of Paleo Girl Scout Cookie recipes), I would not have thought of making this delicious gluten-free dessert.
- In a food processor, combine almond flour, coconut flour, cacao, baking soda, and salt
- Pulse in shortening, honey, and peppermint extract until dough forms
- Roll out dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper to ⅛ inch thick
- Freeze dough for 15 minutes
- Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out dough
- Transfer circles to a parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake at 350° for 4 minutes
- Cool completely on the baking sheets, then freeze for 1 hour
- Melt chocolate and peppermint extract in a small saucepan over very low heat
- Dip each cookie in chocolate, then place on a parchment-lined plate
- Transfer plate to freezer for 1 hour
Store your Paleo Thin Mints in the freezer for the best texture and crispy crunch.
These healthy, gluten-free cookies are the perfect hostess gift, housewarming present, or DIY holiday gift. Since Purim is right around the corner (February 23, 2013) you can give gluten-free Thin Mints alongside your Hamantaschen.
I love to reduce, reuse, and recycle. So when I give gifts for holidays such as Purim, I focus on making something simple, yet special, and definitely not wasteful. I place my homemade baked goods in reusable tins. You can purchase used tins for your cookies and candies at your local thrift store. Carefully scrub and de-glutenize the tins, then run them through the dishwasher. This makes a great gluten-free holiday gift, or hostess gift, and reduces waste during Christmas and other holidays such as Purim.
Here are some more paleo dessert recipes you might like to use for Purim, other gift baskets, holiday cookie exchanges or any time of year: