These Girl Scout cookies are called Peanut Butter Patties or Tagalongs, and guess what? I’ve made them gluten-free and Paleo. Now you can enjoy more gluten-free, Paleo Girl Scout Cookies. No need to give in to cravings for the regular (sugar-filled, gluten-filled) Girl Scout Cookies which are everywhere this time of year.
When I was a girl I was in a troupe called the Blue Birds. It was very similar to the Girl Scouts, except we sold Blue Bird candy instead of Girl Scout cookies. I had great fun going door-to-door selling candy to our neighbors. This was good preparation for the canvassing I later did for NYPIRG after I graduated from Columbia.
Paleo Peanut Butter Patties – Tagalongs
- In a food processor, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda
- Pulse in shortening, honey and vanilla until combined
- Roll out dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper to 1/4-inch thick
- Chill dough in freezer for 20 minutes
- Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out dough
- Press your thumb in center of each circle to make indentation
- Bake at 350° for 4-6 minutes
- Cool cookies for 1 hour
- Place one teaspoon of sunbutter on top of each cookie
- Freeze for 10 minutes
- Melt chocolate over very low heat
- Dip cookies in chocolate
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Freeze for 30 minutes
Makes 18 cookies
These peanut-free, dairy-free, vegetarian Tagalong cookies are best stored in the refrigerator or freezer –your choice will depend on the level of crunch that you like in your cookie.
My previous two Girl Scout Cookie recipes are based on recipes from Tammy Credicott‘s book Paleo Indulgences, however, these Tagalongs are my own version of the regular Tagalong Girl Scout Cookie –they’re a simple gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free almond flour cookie with some sunflower seed butter and dark chocolate. Thanks, though, do go to Tammy for getting me on a Girl Scout cookie roll!
What Girl Scout Cookie recipe would you like to see here next in a healthy version? Here are some of my other favorite Paleo cookie recipes:
- Paleo Girl Scout Cookies: Thin Mints
- Paleo Girl Scout Cookies: Samoas
- Pecan Shortbread Cookies (for Paleo use honey instead of agave)
Please head on over to Facebook or Twitter to ask me anything not addressed on my Frequently Asked Questions page.