For me, cold weather is merely a great excuse to stay home and bake, and this time of year, I especially like to serve warm homemade applesauce. I peel apples and bake them in the oven. The house smells amazing and when it’s Hanukkah, the latkes taste even better with a dollop of homemade applesauce. Here’s how to make a batch of your own.
- 12 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Place apples and cinnamon stick in a large pyrex bowl with lid
- Bake covered at 325° for 1½ hours
- Allow to cool slightly, then crush apples with a potato masher until sauce is desired consistency
- Serve alone, over latkes or on top of a bowl of yogurt
While this warm, gluten free applesauce is a delicious condiment, it’s also scrumptious on its own as a mouthwatering snack or dessert.
Please head on over to Facebook or Twitter to ask me anything not addressed on my Frequently Asked Questions page.