I love gluten free granola; sweet and crunchy, it always satisfies a good snack attack.
I also get a kick out of using the term “granola” to ridicule my Boulder brethren. However, when I’m feeling earthy, dousing myself in patchouli (which my husband dislikes to no end) I can easily apply the term to myself –even though I’m more of a yuppie than a hippie. I guess that would make me a yippie.
Alas, I digress. Several years ago when I first encountered the live food diet, I created this recipe for a crunchy live gluten free granola. Even though he’s not a hippie, yippie or yuppie, my husband really likes it and so does my younger son. The little guy eats it with yogurt, which makes for a tasty and filling snack.
- Place nuts and seeds in a large bowl, cover with water and soak overnight
- Place raisins in a separate bowl, cover with (½ to 1 cup) water and soak overnight
- Place the raisins, along with their soaking water in a food processor and puree until smooth
- In a fine mesh metal strainer, drain and rinse the nuts and seeds and discard the soaking water
- Add nuts and seeds to raisin puree in food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped, to the consistency of granola, then add vanilla, cinnamon and salt and pulse briefly to incorporate these final ingredients
- Transfer mixture onto two large parchment lined baking sheets
- To make live granola, place in the oven on the lowest setting (usually 135°) for 24 hours
- For instant gratification, bake 45 minutes in the oven at 250°; for this more decadent treat, I sometimes drizzle agave over the granola, or add shredded coconut, currants and other dried fruit
Enjoy this nutritious power packed, grain free, gluten free, healthy raw granola recipe with fresh fruit, plain yogurt or as I do, simply by the handful.
Please head on over to Facebook or Twitter to ask me anything not addressed on my Frequently Asked Questions page.