These gluten free, grain free and dairy free pancakes are a healthy breakfast treat.
Many people have loved and had great success with these recipes and many have had trouble with them as well. Since these 2 recipes seemed to be more troublesome then most, I decided to re-work them in this post.
- In a vitamix , combine eggs, agave and vanilla and blend on high until smooth
- Add almond flour, salt and baking soda and blend again to incorporate dry ingredients into batter
- Let batter sit for 15-20 minutes to thicken up
- Warm grapeseed oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Ladle pancake batter onto skillet
- Pancakes will form little bubbles, when bubbles open, flip pancakes over and cook other side
- Remove from heat to a plate
- Repeat process with remaining batter, adding more oil to skillet as needed
Here’s a comment from a helpful reader:
I had problems, like other comments have mentioned, that the flapjacks weren’t firm enough to flip. I used the almond flour at room temperature (I had been storing it in the refrigerator but after reading that you don’t I tried that). I also had to cook them a lot longer than a normal pancake is cooked. It took about 3-4 minutes for the first side and 2-3 for the second side, but it is well worth the wait! Hopefully this will help others who are having problems with this!
Some of you have asked for a lower GI alternative to maple syrup –my boys are really enjoying Sohgave’s agave based “maple” syrup, which I have found to be quite tasty as well.
In media news I had the pleasure yesterday of being interviewed by Dr. Faith of the Faith Middleton show on Connecticut Public Broadcasting Network. We talked for an hour, yes a full hour about my book and many of the recipes in it. Dr. Faith is an almond flour evangelist and it was wonderful to be on air with her. Listen to the show