Stuffing. Gluten free stuffing, no less. While I generally find stuffing to be a time consuming and complex dish to make, I have chosen one that is on the easier side; though be forewarned, I would hardly call this dish easy.
This gluten free stuffing recipe is based on one I found by Sara Foster at Bon Appétit. It has all the components of a good stuffing recipe: bread (gluten free of course in this case), onions, celery, chicken broth, and eggs. For me, these ingredients are the foundation for a variety of delicious stuffing options.
Cranberry Apple Stuffing
- ½ cup dried cranberries (fruit juice sweetened)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 medium granny smith apples, cored and chopped into 1 inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1 loaf Paleo Bread or Gluten Free Bread 2.0, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- Soak dried cranberries in chicken broth for 1-2 hours
- Heat grapeseed oil in a large skillet, over medium heat
- Saute onion until soft, about 15 minutes
- Add celery and saute for 10 more minutes
- Add apple and parsley and saute for 3 minutes, until apples just begin to soften
- Transfer mixture to a very large bowl
- Bake bread cubes on a parchment paper lined baking sheet for 5-10 minutes at 350°
- Cool bread cubes for 20 minutes after removing from oven
- Stir bread cubes into vegetable mixture
- Whisk eggs and salt into cranberry-chicken broth mixture
- Add egg-cranberry mixture to stuffing, tossing to combine
- Transfer stuffing to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- Bake stuffing at 350° uncovered until cooked through and browned on top, about 40 minutes
- Let stand 10-15 minutes
Here are some other gluten-free stuffing recipes you might enjoy:
-Caramelized Onion and Cornbread Stuffing from Carrie of Deliciously Organic
-Wild Rice Stuffing from Ali of Nourishing Meals
-Perfect Homemade Stuffing CrockPot Recipe from Stephanie of A Year of Slow Cooking
I wanted to thank everyone who commented and shared their favorite Vitamix recipe (or what they would make with a Vitamix). I also wanted mention that Vitamix will be holding a huge factory sale at their facility on November 20th in Olmsted Falls, as well as special deals online.
Have a great weekend everyone!
Please head on over to Facebook or Twitter to ask me anything not addressed on my Frequently Asked Questions page.