Tis the season for all things squash and pumpkin. On the menu tonight? Butternut squash apple soup spiced with sweet, warming cinnamon. If you’re looking for an easy soup recipe this one is great for beginners.
My younger son loves this soup and I do too –sometimes I even eat it with a little protein (such as eggs or turkey) for breakfast.
- In a large pot warm oil
- Caramelize onion, sautéing 10-15 minutes until golden brown
- Add squash cubes, apple slices and cinnamon and cook for 10 minutes
- Pour stock into pot and bring mixture to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes
- In a vitamix , puree soup in very small batches (for safety)
- Serve hot
Here are some notes on this recipe:
- Feel free to make this soup with other types of winter squash such as pumpkin, acorn, delicata, etc.
- I used a 2 ½ pound butternut squash for this recipe (weight is prior to peeling and de-seeding)
- Experiment with other warming spices such as ginger and nutmeg
- I used Braeburn apples in this soup; feel free to experiment with other types of apples
Squash is a very healthy, hearty, nutrient dense vegetable, full of carotenoids and other beneficial antioxidants. Further, it is thought that squash is both anti-inflammatory and helpful in regulating blood sugar.
In my house we love eating squash because of its delicious, sweet flavor, and are happy to reap the secondary (health) benefits. What is your favorite winter squash recipe?