I chose to go with a messy “action” photo of this crumble to demonstrate just how much my husband liked it! He came home from work and devoured the section you see missing above. I was somewhat surprised since it was another one of my experiments making a purely fruit sweetened dessert.
While this crumble is not as easy to make as my usual desserts, it’s super healthy and also deliciously satisfying.
- 4 cups fresh cherries, pitted
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 8 (large) dates, pitted
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or grapeseed oil
- ¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¾ cups blanched almond flour
- For filling, place cherries and blueberries in a 3 quart baking dish
- Sprinkle fruit with lemon juice and vanilla, then toss in arrowroot
- To make the crumble, place 8 dates, ½ cup water and 1 tablespoon oil in a vitamix and puree on high until smooth
- Pour date mixture into a medium mixing bowl
- Add almond flour, salt and baking soda and mix well to combine
- Crumble the topping over fruit mixture
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until bubbling
- Uncover and bake a few more minutes until topping is golden brown
- Remove from oven and serve
A couple of notes about this gluten free, purely fruit sweetened crumble. First, the topping may be more “cakey” than crispy for this dessert. That is due to using the dates which I have been experimenting with quite a bit of late; still, it’s amazing that this dessert is naturally sweetened –my husband couldn’t tell the difference.
Next, this recipe was inspired by a delicious looking dessert from the lovely Karina of Karina’s Kitchen. Although we cook with somewhat different ingredients, I think our ethos around food is quite similar and just about everything she posts makes my mouth water!
Finally, for today’s Friday Freebie, I will be giving away a 5 pound bag of blanched almond flour, courtesy of Honeyville. Leave a comment and you will be eligible for this delightful and valuable prize.
UPDATE: this giveaway has ended and the winner was sharon